This recipe calls for Manuka honey as it embodies my idea of ingesting beauty and wellness through nature’s abundance. This honey has antibacterial properties that promotes a healthy gut, and has anti-inflammatory benefits that speeds healing. Caramelized roasted carrots with a touch of honey can be a sweet side dish accented with creamy cheeses or spicy salads.
Though carrots are available the whole year, look out for locally grown ones in summer and fall since they are the freshest and most flavorful. There are rainbow varieties – yellow, green, and purple carrots that are wonderful for roasting and each kind delivers a unique flavor. Roasting the carrots will really bring out their sweet caramelized notes.
Carrot is a root vegetable that also has an interesting root meaning, because its name derives from the Greek “karoton,” which refers to its horn-like shape. And it is certainly a ‘Horn of Plenty’ as it has copious antioxidants like beta-carotene and nutrients with cardiovascular, anti-cancer and vision-health benefits. The rich carotenoid content of carrots keeps skin supple, prevents oxidative damage – scarring from the battery of daily pollution we face in cities.
This dish will add color to your life! Did you know that the flame-oranges and pinks of flamingoes are from beta-carotene in their diets?
1-2 lbs. carrots
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Pinch of sea salt
1 teaspoon honey
½ cup parsley greens (optional)
½ cup champagne tomatoes, washed and halved
½ cup fresh ricotta, locally made if possible
1 cup fresh cilantro
1 avocado, cored, sliced into thin moon-shaped wedges
1. Wash the carrots with a vegetable brush and peel them, if they are small, roast them whole if they are large slice them into thin oval-shaped medallions at an angle.
2. Drizzle the the sliced or whole carrots in olive oil and honey, and toss them in the citrus juices and the sea salt until they are coated evenly.
3. Roast at 450ºF until tender and golden brown, approximately 35-40 minutes.
Once cooked, garnish the plate of roasted carrots with fresh cilantro, add the slices of avocado, sliced cherry tomatoes and a spoonful or two of ricotta.
- Roast red carrots with orange juice and honey and sunflower seeds – a similar recipe to the one above that uses seeds and micro greens to add a crunchy option.
- Add roasted carrots to a bed of arugula, mache greens or Mizuna, and a spoonful of ricotta cheese. Mix into salad with a sprinkle of raw pumpkin seeds and raw, unsalted pistachio nuts.
- Serve roasted carrots with cooked farro, basil, raw pistachio nuts and shaved pecorino.